Interactive Art Studio 5pm-7pm
Freestyle Friday 5:30-8pm
Early Explorers 10am to Noon
Interactive Art Studio 1pm-3pm
Learn To Turn Ideas Into Game Designs
Interactive Arts Studio For Grades 8 to 12
Learn how to turn ideas into video games using the Unity engine. Participants will work in teams to brainstorm and discuss their ideas for interactive stories/games, then use industry tools and processes to develop them into designs. Participants will build working prototypes, and iterate on their designs as they create their final work.
This program is for everyone. No prior knowledge or experience is required.
Supplies: students may bring their own laptop, but laptops will be provided for session use.
Who Is the Facilitator?
Instructor: Glen Hamilton
Glen is currently an instructor at Vancouver Film School’s Game Design Program and will be the new instructor for the Ethos Lab Interactive Art Studio. He has managed more than 20 titles on a wide range of gaming platforms, from first-gen Super Nintendo and Xbox 360/PS3 to mobile.
Our 2023 Interactive Arts Program partner is Electronic Arts.
What Your Child Will Learn
- Create and develop story, character, theme or mechanics ideas for video games using storyboards, animatics, and concepts/mode boards
- Reflect on personal and/or community values and aspirations, and integrate them into story, character, theme or mechanics ideas
- Translate story and/or game ideas into concrete designs
- Develop designs into game mechanics, rules, and player objectives
- Become familiar with the Unity 2D game development environment
- Prototype game designs in an iterative fashion