Terms: 37.5 hrs/wk, full-time permanent, some evenings and weekends
Salary: $75,000- $85,000/yr based on experience
Benefits: Group Benefit Plan (organizational adoption planned for 2024)
Location: 177 E 3rd Ave. Vancouver, BC
Job Posting Close Date: November 27, 2023, 5:00PM PST
Job Start Date: February 1, 2024 or sooner
Ethọ́ s Lab (www.ethoslab.ca) is a Black-led organization, creating a network of community-driven Innovation Hubs for youth in Grades 5-12 based in Vancouver, British Columbia. We fuse culture and interdisciplinary STEAM programming to provide youth with the core skills for post-secondary admissions & careers to create a more inclusive future. Ethọ́s Lab is a safe space, where all youth are welcome.
STEAM = Science, Technology, Engineering, Applied Art and Math
We’re remixing the traditional educational model to provide innovative and inclusive solutions. Our commitment is not just an aspiration; it’s a call to action. Black youth and girls are often marginalized in STEAM fields, but we’re determined to change that narrative. We prioritize models that foster community and mutual respect, not just among our youth but within the entire innovation landscape. Together, we are building a new culture—a culture where every individual, regardless of their background, has the opportunity to innovate, inspire and lead.
About The Role
Do any of the following words describe you: Curious. Creative Thinker. Committed. Continuous Learner. Do you have a deep passion for transforming STEAM education? And ensuring it had greater representation? Does the success of young people motivate you?
Ethos Lab is looking for an experienced and visionary individual to lead the next evolution of Ethos Lab’s Programming. The Program Director serves as a core leadership team member and the key decision maker for Ethọ́s Lab’s youth focused programming. The Program Director is an individual who is committed to a community-based approach to STEAM learning that centers our youth’s unique socio-economic and cultural contexts.
Committed to a high-level of service delivery, the Program Director will be responsible for ensuring a safe and supportive environment for youth to learn and excel.
As an individual with experience in program management, the Program Director will identify the necessary resources required to ensure the continuous delivery of our programming. This includes: staff hiring and supervision, curriculum planning and development, budgeting and administrative tasks, and family engagement.
The Program Director will work closely with the Ethos Lab, Innovation Lab Manager to ensure the activation of Ethos Lab’s 900 sqft Makerspace and the efficient management, execution, evaluation and delivery of after-school programming through engaging project-based Science, Technology, Engineering, Applied Arts and Math (STEAM) curricula.
As our programming continues to scale, both regionally and nationally, the Program Director will work closely with the Executive Director to support strategic planning and help determine the future directions of our programming. The Program Director will play a pivotal role in maintaining existing relationships, and building new relationships within Ethọ́ s Lab’s community, including; youth, parents, adult allies and partner organizations.
- Visionary Leadership: Develop and communicate a clear vision for Ethos Lab’s programs, ensuring alignment with the organization’s mission and values.
- Customer Relations: Build and maintain strong relationships with program participants, students, parents, and educational institutions, ensuring their needs are met and expectations exceeded.
- Business Partnerships: Collaborate with external partners and stakeholders to identify opportunities for strategic alliances, sponsorships, and program expansion.
- Subject Matter Expertise: Coordinate with subject matter experts to curate engaging educational content and experiences that align with emerging technologies and industry trends.
- Curriculum Design and Execution: Oversee the design and execution of curriculum, evolving Ethos Programming to meet the demands of our clientele.
- Program Management: Oversee the planning, execution, and evaluation of Ethos Lab’s programs, maintaining tight deadlines and ensuring program success.
- Team Collaboration: Foster a collaborative and inclusive team environment, inspiring team members to actively contribute to program goals and objectives.
- Reporting and Analysis: Provide regular reports on program performance, offering insights and recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Resource Allocation: Manage program budgets, resources, and timelines efficiently and effectively.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Engage with parents, students, educators, and the wider community to gather feedback, address concerns, and strengthen program engagement.
- Develop a mid/long term (e.g., ~5 year) strategic vision and plan for innovative equity-based STEAM programming for Ethọ́s Lab
- Set and deliver on programming goals in alignment with Ethos Lab’s strategic vision
- Build network of partnership organizations willing to support EthosLab, either through curriculum development or curriculum delivery
- Align with post-secondary education and industry organization on key industry trends in STEAM
- Build and align Ethos’ curriculums with quarterly themes for youth aged 13-18, in partnership with curriculum development partners
- Train and supervise team members, volunteers and paid instructors on quarterly programming updates and delivery
- Liaise with other STEAM education providers and post secondary organizations to find potential curriculum synergies
- Liaise with Administrator and parents to provide programming updates
- Collaborate with stakeholders to track, analyze and report program participation, demographics and engagement to improve program outcomes
- Develop and manage program budgets
Education & Experience
- Degree in education, social sciences, STEAM related field or equivalent
- Demonstrated knowledge of educational theory and practice, particularly with relevant current trends
- 3+ years building strong academic curriculums in a dynamic environment
- Experience in developing online and in person curriculums to offer the same learningand participant experience
- Experience administering youth programs
- A strong understanding of industry and post secondary STEAM trends
- Strong experience in understanding how to create inclusive programming
- Experience developing participatory experiences for youth
- Knowledge of anti-racism, anti-oppression, equity, diversity and inclusion frameworks
- Ability to develop new ideas and creative projects
- Strong goal setting and project management skills
- Strong leadership and communication skills, with the ability to influence and motivate youth
- Highly motivated problem solver and can work independently
- Ability to provide clear operational leadership, inspiration and motivation for instructions
- Ability to communicate and resonate with youth
- High energy and passion for Ethos Lab’s mission is essential
- Driven by making an impact in your local community
- Empowered by enabling the development of youth
- Innovative, enthusiastic and self-motivated mindset
- Strong leadership mindset
- Relentlessly curious and creative
Prioritizing applicants from equity-deserving communities
Ethos Lab is committed to increasing the diversity in STEAM. We highly encourage applications from people who identify as Black, Indigenous, People of Colour, LGBTQ2S and individuals from other under-represented communities.
- Send by email to email@example.com, with the subject line Innovation Lab Manager Application
- Include a Resume & cover letter indicating why you are interested in working with Ethọ́s Lab
- Please include one (or more) of the following:
- A portfolio
- Examples of projects you have worked on or developed
- Lesson plans or curriculum you have created
- Name and contact information of 2 references. Please indicate relationship to references
For information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.